Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Rat's Nest

So far, the only modifications I have made to the bike are the parts that have fallen off. My goal is to convert it into a cafe racer style of bike. The first major thing that I am doing to accomplish this is to swap out the original handlebars for a set of clubman style bars like the ones below.
These are very low and actually go fwd, wrapping around the gauges before they pull back putting you in a much more hunched over, racing type of position.

I ordered the bars but they were on backorder for about a month. The dealer finally called to say they were in. When I went to pick them up, we realized that the distributor sent the wrong ones. Sigh. I guess a few more days won't kill me.

So last night, I removed the original handlebars in preparation to put the new ones on. Surprise! Most of the wires run inside the handlebars. I guess I should have realized this, but I just didn't think about it. So I spent about an hour, going through the rats nest of wires and connectors behind the headlight disconnecting all of the handlebar wires so I could take them off. I have a feeling that it will take even longer to get them all reconnected in the right order.



1 comment:

Mark said...

Haha, just did this my self actually. Not too fun. Those big cables are a pain to get out of the handlebars!